Another World

A friend of mine came over to Australia to visit me, so naturally no trip over would be complete without visiting the Great Barrier Reef. Even though I've been before I was terribly excited, as soon as we were on the plane the two of us were positively giddy. After getting soaked to our skin in Cairns (Rainy Season!) the morning came and we boarded the boat that would take us out.

Even if you've been diving or snorkeling before, even if you've seen every documentary on the ocean nothing can really prepare you for how wonderful it is, the first moment you put your head in the water and look all around you. Its more then just fish or coral, its the abundance of life all around. The colors are far more vibrant then any photograph can capture the shoals of small curious fish swim right past your mask, the bigger ones just at arms reach.  Creatures you didn't believe could be real are just swimming along like everything it normal. It truly is another world right here on earth and for a moment you get to glimpse it.

Unfortunately the sad reality is, the Reef is slowly being destroyed due to climate change. If something isn't done soon, the Barrier Reef will soon be nothing more then a memory. 

Comments

  1. when i was in the caribean when i was younger, i went snorkelling. the guides always said don't touch or take anything off the reef....

    i always wanted to since it was so pretty....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Jealous-I would love to see the reef!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it is amazing and would be sorely missed by those that has seen its beauty and would like to return. For those of you who have not had a chance to see it, get your butt moving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. have not been there but for sure I would :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pictures are beautiful and I believe you when you say in person its 100 times more beautiful than any picture. It is a shame that the reef is being damaged, climate change effects us all. We are having problems up in the arctic (I live in Norway) as well, hard to imagine that we are being effected so drastically at different ends of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And the jealousy sinks in. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! It looks totally amazing!

    I guess there are certain advantages to living in Aussie-land, huh?

    By thw way, I've recently changed my blog address - thought I'd let you know so you can update your links etc. Details on my profile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this - it took me down the memory lane from when I was scuba diving in Perth more than 10 years ago! For a Norwegian, it was quite exotic you know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Impressive world and it's real, still.
    Did you take the photo's? They are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alas I didn't take the pics the people in the boat did but they cool :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. thats so stunning look at the colours

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really need to dothis sometime

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NHS needs our support more than ever

13. Gelateria 3BIS

How you define yourself