Home is where the Heart is...


Its January, named for Janus, God of beginnings, endings and doorways.
I always think of this month as being rather special, it has a way of telling you how the rest of the year is going to be. I'm a real believer in starting things the way you mean to end them. Its one of the reasons I don't bother with New Year resolutions - I think if your going to do sometime you don't need to declare it, you need to just get on with it. Though I know some people find them useful  but few ever keep them.
Its summer here in Australia so nice and hot rather then the frosty weather I'm used to this time of year. Normally I'd relish the heat, but the longer I'm here the more I miss London and I think January is trying to tell me something. Before I thought I hated the gloomy mist that surrounds Hyde Park at 6:45 am but now its something I long to see.
I've always felt like and outsider, at school, at work even with my own family. London was the only place I ever felt truly comfortable. Its strange that it takes living on the other side of the world to realize a great many things. I miss the noise and the feel of that large city, I love the way there are about 10-12 million people buzzing about but you still feel connected somehow.
I miss the bookshops I like to browse in with dusty shelves and hidden cafes on cobbled backstreets. I long for those magnificent pieces of the city that reflect the long passage of time, from ancients Celts, settling Romans, invading Vikings and so forth to new cultures from even further a field each with its own pocket in the city. The familiar buildings, walks, statues and gardens the modern futurist buildings of Canary Wharf to the Gothic beauty of St Pancras Station.
I had hoped to come here and experience new things and find whatever it was I thought I was lacking.
I have experienced and gained many things I couldn't or haven't been able to do before, I got my drivers license for one, I've held a bird of prey and stroked a crocodile, climbed a sort of mountain. But the longing in my heart is telling me to go home...

Comments

  1. having trouble finding places in Australia that are as inspiring as London?

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty much, I mean I really like Australia, its just I don't feel like I belong here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by the food blog. There ought to be some eastern european restaurants in australia where you can feast on pirogi.

    As for your post, I can definitely relate. I usually just focus on the things I can only do in that country and not anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When did you get your driver's license?! Congratulations! Come back home! Instantly. I miss you. But really, I'm sorry that things haven't turned out like you imagined. It was the opposite for me, I thought I'd stand out like a sore thumb in England, but I feel more at home here than in America. Catch the next flight home...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's very neat that you think of January this way. Wanna know how I view it? "Holy shit I hope it's not as cold as it was last year!" and guess what? It usually is.

    What a beautiful picture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kent - no probs its a cool blog and I shall look out for Pirogi! Will attempt to focus on the good :-)

    Michelle - Thank You! I got my license before x-mas, wish I could catch the next flight! and it might happen just need to stick it out a bit longer and see

    Sheila - can you believe I miss the cold!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are not the first nor will you be the last to miss your roots, the pulse and rythm you are grown up as a part of. One thing is to like, to be fascinated, but to leave your heart another place but where it belongs is the difference between travelling and living a place.

    We have recently been to Buenos Aires. A fantastic metropol. Very europeean in architecure and structure. But I would have missed the 4 seasons, the Hills and the fiord, after a while.
    We have been to Santiago de Chile, but after a while I would have missed the smell of the Sea.

    I also recently been to Miami Beach, Art Deco district. Here too I would, after a while missed the 4 seasons.
    The only place might be Vancouver BC, if I had to leave the country.
    But I don't have too. Maybe for a couple of weeks when it's at the darkest....

    You do what you feel is right.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go home Shadow-you sound so lonely for some reason. I never had a hankering to go to Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know it can be hard and felt lonely to be long away from home sometimes, but after what you have experienced in Australia: do you think this will be the same again in London?
    Anyway: You should do what you feel is the best for you!

    Btw: Could you do me a favour: I'm nominated for Santa's Blog of the Day. May I ask for a voting hand?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonderful post that really resonated with me given I face having to leave my beloved London for exile in Oz.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hiya pal,glad to be here again and yes I agreed, Home is where the heart is and I wish you well ya.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The first year after you move to a new land is always the hardest. Stick it out a little longer and see how you feel. London will still be here whenever you decide to return, so make the best of Australia in the meantime.

    Tins xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. strange I have always thought of this month as being rather scant

    ReplyDelete
  14. Home sweet home, there is nothing like it.

    The thing in life is that sometimes we really have to see what is happening on the other side of the world (metaphorically) to appreciate what we have. Nothing wrong with that at all, at least you will have no regrets with I could have made something of myself there but I held back, etc.

    You have been there and done that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How you define yourself

12. Morelli's

NHS needs our support more than ever