13/11/2007

Creative Juice

If anyone has any spare creativity or seen mine can they post it over to - 
Mental Girl, 
Somewhere in Oz, 
Writers Block Motorway, 
4109. 
Thanks
I'm trying to finish my current novel. I mean current not because I'm a paid author - no just another lowly person on the publishing food chain but because I've never been able to finish. My laptop has several half baked ideas stored in its databank. I have loads of enthusiasm going in, I million words, characters and chapters waiting to pour out and after I get about a quarter of the way I'm stumped. I know what I want to happen say, three chapters on, but for the moment nothing - a great big blank.  Suddenly cleaning the kitchen floor seems like a fantastic way to spend the day or you find yourself agreeing to all sort of things to avoid sitting down in front of that keyboard with nothing. I prefer to wait for my muse to speak to me and therein lies the problem - seems they get called away just when you need one!
I know I'm not the only one - we've all been there. It defiantly happens to the pros as well, there have been about a zilllion times I've been reading a book and it seems like you hit four chapters of madness before returning to the real story. Harry Potter 5 I'm convinced suffered from this in a major way which is why the middle lot about Umbridge should have been ripped out.
I digress, now that I have time to concentrate on writing (as E is out there earning all of the bread) I'm going to finish something. My plan is to write a certain amount a day - whether its any good is totally irrelevant, thats what editing is for (if I ever get there). Sometimes I can't help but laugh at something I wrote weeks before, least it keeps me entertained, if a little closer to the white jacket.
But if anyone has any other handy tips to avoid the over crowding on Motorway please feel free to share.
(Please note the pic is not me, last time I tried that the pencil took on a life of its own and launched itself in the direction of my eye)

15 comments:

  1. It seems as though you're me, but a girl.
    My house is full of half finished masterpeices.
    I fly along at a hundred miles an hour, then whack!
    A tiny little stone on the road sends me flying off into the bushes.

    If you can only think of a crap way to get to the next good bit just write that, as long as you keep going. You can always fix it later. I've found that it's easier to fix a rubbish bit a week later than actually write it well the first time around.

    Someone once said writing is rewriting. I don't remember who

    ReplyDelete
  2. never mind your juices Im just glad your back I was convinced that some wallabe had eaten you

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck with your novel. try not to poke your eye out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried anything longer than a short story. Perhaps my writing is too precise, too deliberate for something bigger. Or maybe it's my attention span.

    ReplyDelete
  5. just go for it...

    Usually it is best to write the story on short story format...and then after that you fill in the other thousand pieces

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to write about this awhile back, but then forgot. I made a huge discovery the other day - I always think of myself as a writer, but I haven't written anything substantial since high school, and I think I know why. All of my creativity energy stemmed from my severe unhappiness... now that I'm happy, I don't seem able to get it back. I thought it was interesting anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Papir, Ink and a Pencil.
    Why should a Novel end?
    Lack of Paper?
    Ink?
    Fantasy?
    "e"'s on your PC?

    Don't bother - then you'll find out when and how to write:
    The End

    .... more to come (May be)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey hon

    Sorry no ideas from me, but good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have writer's block and I'm writing a memoir! You know ... where I know what happens! I'm just going with the flow.

    You can't order inspiration online. Or can you? Hmmmm, off to search eBay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just come to think about it:

    Do not end it;D

    Write:

    End of Volume 1

    ReplyDelete
  11. Creativity has never been my strong point. The only way I'll ever write a book is if I write about myself. Riveting stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, she could be just on a jaunt till he pops up and then the dog goes burserk. I think there was something in the bowl before she put the water in it? Anyway while the dogs going burserk, a moth flies in his mouth - you know, one of those really big bogon moths and the dog chokes for a bit. When the dog spits the moth out it just kind of flutters on the concrete and he (the previous he not the dog he) notices it has only one wing and mentions something about...

    Naa that's not going to help is it? Bumma!

    I hope you pick up the block and chuck it away soon. It should never have been put there in the first place! Happy writing...

    roses

    ReplyDelete
  13. alas the pic is not me and Im still stuck on the motorway to hell

    ReplyDelete