Ireland

We are heading over to Ireland for a few days. My husband is from Galway, which means he has a large and lovely family up and down the west coast of Ireland. Lucky for me as we get to visit often and always have a place to stay. Though I prefer to stay with Nanny (E's maternal Grandmother) because with Nanny your guaranteed a good time and probably the best baking I've ever tasted. Her Apple Tart is divine and I'm sure people would kill for a morsel of toffee shortcake.

I really feel at home in Ireland, I suppose that it has something to do with how green it is. I don't mean a few fields or trees, I mean such a lush vibrant colour that you really can't imagine nature being more perfect.

I suppose when you grow up in a city or even the suburbs and don't drive getting out into the countryside isn't that easy. As much as I like the British countryside, thanks to my Dad endless excursions to where ever takes his fancy, the Irish country side feels different, almost magical. I don't know if its just me but there are places that are filled with memory, history or something unaccountable. When I was walking through the Fort of Agra in India, for a few seconds I could swear when I could hear the voices of history telling me the story of this incredible place. In Ireland you half expect to turn around and catch a glimpse of some myth walking in life. I get a similar feeling in Scotland, but different again. I can't explain it, perhaps its my crazy Romanticisms running away with me.

Comments

  1. You might want to reread that, it sounded a little more than crazy romanticism to me.

    Anyway, the Apple Tart is definitely to kill for.

    I have to agree with the countryside thing, it feels like you are going back in time to times when there are no cars and people use wagons, the roads can be slightly narrow in places. Of course the interestingly coloured houses (including plum purple) dotted around are quite an eye opener. Oh as a highlight, one should always see Father Ted’s house once when they are in that area in Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ireland is a great place. My time in Dublin working as a barman is one of the best collection of memories I have. Perhaps it's because compared with England less of Scotland or Ireland has been industrialized, and so more is left to nature's charms. I haven't spent much time in Wales, I'm afraid, but no doubt it's the same there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been to irland but my ancestors can be traced back there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you where Irish in your past life. Well I do also want to go there at least once....I also think it must be awesome...I want to read some books by Irish writers apparently it is to die for...
    O and apparently my ancestors can also be tracked there...explains my red hair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've got a cousin over in ireland, i keep promising her that i'll head over there at some point, but i've not made it yet :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way I nominated you for 'Best commenter' in the Share the Love blog awards, but I think you'd do better in the 'Best Writing' section... your blog is part of the reason why I still write mine, and you've inspired me to read poetry by Emily Dickinson, just got her collected poems from the library today.. thought you should know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG...My grandmother is from Galway! and I have cousins that live there!! Have been there too..It's a really pretty part of Ireland! Have a great time...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Wow! I missed Ireland each time I visit UK. It has always been England & Wales, I wanna go there and have a slice of that apple tart ;P

    ReplyDelete
  9. I"ve never even left the US.

    I'm very lazya nd traveling seems like an awful lot of work. ;)

    Steve~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you been to Callanish? That place takes you back in time, and the wild, rugged landscape refreshes us city dwellers...

    ReplyDelete
  11. For the record shionge, only Northen Ireland is part of the UK (in fact the correct title is The United Kingdom and Northern Ireland). The rest is called The Republic of Ireland or Eire and has been independant of the British Empire for over 80 years.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've only been to an Irish Pub singing Irish Rover songs and drinking green beer. Have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always wanted to see Ireland. I've left the states twice: Once to our neighbors, Mexico, and also further south, to Costa Rica. I hope to head towards your neck of the woods someday soon (a European trek is a necessity, not a "maybe" for me).

    I hope you enjoy yourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried to post a comment a couple of days ago, but I couldn't get through. Anyways, the pictures are beautiful. I've always wanted to go to Ireland. My grandmother was of Irish decent.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have a fabulous trip! Can't wait for you to tell us all about it when you come back. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful narrative and gorgeous pictures.
    I've never been to Ireland, but it looks like I ought to visit. Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Galway?!?!? Really?!?!? I am very much jealous! I've always wanted to visit Ireland and my crush (David Boreanaz playing Angel) was from Galway Ireland. It looks beautiful! I want David now in the show BONES on FOX. It's really good. I wish I could travel more...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NHS needs our support more than ever

13. Gelateria 3BIS

Things you realise