Sunlight?

This morning on the way into work, the wee small hours of morning were dark and moody. Mist enshrouded Hyde Park and the eerie darkness made the fun fair rides look rather sinister as I passed them by.

I think morning mist is like an unrequited love, everything is hazy and out of focus but the closer you get the more elusive it becomes. Cursed with the knowledge you can see it but never posses it.

At the moment we only have 8 hours of sunlight at the most and even that is a sombre grey. This is more then many unfortunate places but that doesn't stop me getting depressed.

I'm convinced S.A.D (Seasonal Affective Depression) causes people to go a little insane with the Christmas lights. There are some streets and we've all seen them with houses that I'm sure can be seen from space.

But there is a town in the French Alps who have come up with an ancient solution :

Mirrors!

Of Course if you live in the Arctic circle and happen to be stuck with 4 months of darkness this might not be that great but I still think the idea is rather sound.

Well done mountain people...now all I have to do is move to the tropics...

Comments

  1. All hail our new mountain people overlords!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the mirror idea, it is very eco friendly whereas using resources which we are not able to replace for decoration is irresponsible.

    There was a remark in the metro yesterday about how people in Britain and their multicoloured lights or roof decorations were tacky yesterday and I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I know that feeling ..and I think i suffer from that....I too travel to work in the darkness, just when the sun is coming up...but your description of the morning mist is beautiful....I love the mirror idea...I have what you call a happy light in my office..(it was very expensive) but it mimics naturally sunlight...
    don't know if it really works..cause I'm not happy all the time...lol.
    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be gloomy now, be careful Ms. Shadowfalcon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister has SAD (her initials are SAD too). It's an odd condition and she has a happy light. I havne't had to go to work in the dark yet but it is dark when I get home. I't is pretty sad. Luckily there aren't too many lights in my area. However, when i go home on Sat the tradition is to drive around and look at lights x-mas eve. Hilarous stuff some people put on their houses. Love the talk of the mist, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have S.A.D...but it applies to any and all seasons. ;)

    Steve~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you take that pic? It's gorgeous...and creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That mirrors thing is a great idea!

    Love your analogy about mist and unrequited love. You can be quite poetic it seems. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think morning mist is like an unrequited love, everything is hazy and out of focus but the closer you get the more elusive it becomes. Cursed with the knowledge you can see it but never posses it.


    I loved this bit of writing. Morning mist and unrequited love. Unrequited love is one of my favorite literary themes. I love the bittersweetness of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the picture of mist. I'm looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the picture. I could do without the long hours of darkness though. I hate the fact that by the time I get home from work I only have an hour of daylight left.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are some streets and we've all seen them with houses that I'm sure can be seen from space.

    Yup. That's my neighbor. And I'm heading over there with some wire cutters right now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Get away from my house with those wire cutters, Dan. Oh, wait. You're not my neighbor. Whew.

    I like misty mornings myself, probably because it's a lot like me at that time of day: hazy, in a fog, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alas the photo is not mine, but it is rather cool.

    Nice to see that my thoughts on mist were taken well, that is actually how I talking to myself at 7am after I've read too much poetry...I then try and write my own...the results are rather scary.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so well taken, thank you for sharing. I love London and if I do visit again, I want to meet up with you Ms. Shadowfalcon :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How you define yourself

NHS needs our support more than ever

12. Morelli's