Life before the internet

Years ago if you had a piece of homework or you just wanted to check a fact, you've have to look it up. This could mean getting out an Encyclopaedia, going to the library, asking your dad or if you were really hi-tec you could check a CD-ROM. I was always such a nerd that my parents would literally have to drag me away from the library, eventually if they needed to go out for a few hours they'd just drop me off there and chances are I still wouldn't want to leave when they came back.

Though I can still waste hours upon hours in a library, now all of that knowledge is just a few clicks away and I believe the world is all the better for it. I transfered my fact addiction to Wikipedia and now my head is full random things from Sand Cats (which are so cute) to the Biography of Tom Waits.

I recall thinking Jumpin' Jack Flash, was incrediable I can you imagine talking to someone half way across the world on a computer?

The best part, is its all free.

***On This Day***
- 1786 The Encyclopaedia Britannica was first Published
- 1922 The Irish Free State came into existence, one year after the signing of the Anglo-Irish Treaty.

Comments

  1. I like the fact about the Encyclopaedia Britannica being published 220 years ago (today), very neat and tidy a number.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jumpin' Jack Flash was quality. I remember being amazed at the graphics on the screen. Imagine, 4 whole colours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way information technology has grown is amazing. Now almost everything's just a mouse click away. I'm glad, because it enables people from all over the world to connect.

    But I still like reading books the old-fashioned way; I don't get as much pleasure from reading e-books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't really thought about it until now. I remember research papers in Elementary School and Middle School being such a pain, but now I just have to click and chug along for a few minutes and I have all the information I need.

    But even though it was such a pain, I still miss it. The magic just isn't as prevalent in webpages as it is in books.
    Damn technology!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My step-son just failed a take home biology test.

    TAKE-HOME!!!

    How do you fail a take home test in this Google day and age!?!

    Steve~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I'm still kinda of young but I do remember that. It was awful! I would spend hours at the library (with my mom since I was a kid and that didn't make her happy.. haha) and we would search and search through these huge tomes! Thank god for the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did a lot of my school work the old fashioned way....we always had Encyclopedias on hand at my house...and I loved going to to the library.....I still read real books too...
    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like being able to look up any facts on just about any subject on the internet. It's so much quicker than when I'd have to go to the library for all my info.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never been a fan of looking up answers. Why look it up, when I can make it up?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NHS needs our support more than ever

How you define yourself

13. Gelateria 3BIS