Sleep perchance to dream...

I haven't been sleeping well. Between the ages of 14 and 20 I was an insomniac, I used to spend the nights reading books, watching an obscene amount of trashy movies and working. I don't know how or why it changed but suddenly I could sleep at night. So you'd think that if I missed some sleep or if I had a restless night it would be old hat.

Alas no, every night this week I wake up three or four times a night fully awake and when I do sleep I have very bizarre dreams. This makes the morning rather strange as I'm trying to figure out if I'm still asleep. I feel like the crew of the Enterprise (Star Trek Next Generation in Season 4 Episode 17, Night Terrors) when lack of R.E.M sleep drove them crazy, except I'm getting the sleep and I'm already crazy. Anyway I found it really interesting to read that Bears also suffer if they don't hibernate in time.

What I hate about the whole thing is that we all need sleep to function but there are no allowances if your not getting any. I hate smug happy, well rested people and the last thing I want to do is go to work and listen to everyone comment 'Oh you look tired' and the most awful words anyone can say to another 'Cheer up'.

It sends a shudder through my entire body, I have to physically restrain myself, I'm sorry but I haven't slept, I'm soaking wet from the freezing rain and have every right to be miserable if I want to, don't tell me to cheer up I don't want to be bloody cheerful! Instead I grind my teeth and smile, reminding myself that acting like a psycho will delay my cup of tea.

Comments

  1. Sorry you are having a bad time, with the weekend coming up, hopefully you will be able to catch up with some slep. Would soothing music help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. People telling me to 'cheer up' makes me have the same reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say it sounds like a case of the Mondays.......... but it's a Thursday.....
    Funnily enough, I've not been sleeping well lately either, but i'm pretty stressed at the moment. Maybe there's some sort of stress-transferance going on?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I agree that people should let us be miserable once in a while until we recover from it. I've been an insomniac for so long it's become part of my lifestyle. Good thing I work at home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One winter, I hardly slept at all. I saw stuff. Thought I was going nuts. Then, I drifted off behind the wheel of my car.

    I went to the doctor that week and asked for something to help me sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At work people always accuse me of being cranky. I usually respond with "Bite me." I find that my response doesn't really change their mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my god that cartoon is so funny! I am a total insomniac. I believe from the time I was about 13 until now (and still currently going on) I have the hardest time getting to sleep at night. I've tried all kinds of things. It doesn't matter how much or little sleep I've had the day before, what I eat before I go to bed, or if there is music playing or what. I try to read until I'm tired but sometimes even that doesn't work because I'll get so into the book that I just keep reading and reading and oops hours have gone by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's interesting about the bears, and seeing that the environment changes is driving them crazy. If it is affecting them, then it's not that strange a jump to saying that it may affect human sleep. Hope not though, and that you will soon be getting regular shuteye. We do need it, sad to say. I'd love to read all night, but I can't do it anymore:(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NHS needs our support more than ever

How you define yourself

13. Gelateria 3BIS