Pirates?

Having practically no knowledge about world history after 1903 imagine my shock when I read this article this morning. Believe it or not Pirates are still roaming the high seas but are not as rare as once thought and their numbers are growing. Perhaps everyone else is familiar with this but I wasn't!

When I think of Pirates, I'm back in the 18th century looking at beautiful wooden galleons, A Jolly Rodger riding the mast and canons facing out towards the sea. The plan, to steal all the gold you can. Not to mention famous Privateers like Sir Francis Drake (a replica of his ship the Golden Hind is docked on London south bank and I love it).

I mean what do Pirates of the modern age steal, credit cards...I'm at a loss to understand and then what do you do once you get back to land and have to fill in a million forms for a loan or a library card and what do you put on your C.V (Resume)... Hobbies and Interests: Swimming, sewing, grand thief of the Maritime persuasion...

Do they buy their own eye liner, have they upgraded from parrots to cyber pets...Do they like Johnny Depp...

Apparently 650 people were kidnapped by Pirates last year but I'm pretty sure I didn't hear about a single case in the news. To think I have an uncle who works on oil tankers as an engineer and he never mentioned it! I can't be the only oblivious person can I?

Comments

  1. Pirates these days are rubbish! They don't even say "Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum" anymore!! or have Peglegs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pirates of the Corporation are no where near as hot as Johnny Depp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Pirates are still out there, really? I guess this identity theft thing really is getting out of control. I bet they 'sail' on multimillion dollar yachts adn eat caviar while they pillage and plunder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahoy matey....and to think the makeup today is so much more glamourous!!! They don't know what they're missing....aarrggh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, they exist in some parts of the world. Sadly, I don't think any of them looks anything like Johnny Depp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, but how many of those pirates had peg legs?

    That's what I wanna know. ;)

    Steve~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know about this either! How strange, to think that pirates are still out there...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently saw a special on A&E or the Discovery Channel on modern day pirates. I, too, was shocked that they are still around. Apparently, they are quite dangerous. If you haven't, check out the film "The Life Aquatic"--Wes Anderson provides a pretty funny look at contemporary pirates.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You a modern day pirate? Or want to be one? Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of course there are still pirates around ... in fact, didn't they have a pretty sh*tty season in Pittsburgh this year? I think they lost, like, over 90 games.

    Damned losers. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure pirates everywhere are glad Johnny Depp raised the bar on their image! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  12. They still exist! if i'm not mistaken (a few years back), the whole of Sabah, a state in Malaysia located just below Philippine, was on alert when pirates kidnapped a few tourist.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm gald I'm not the only one who didn't know, now I'm off to get a boat and ditch my job...Shiver me timbers I'm a sailing away

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post. I used this topic from a Guardian article with students who thought Pirates were relics of the past and ended with Johnny Depp.

    Most are in the South China Sea aren't they?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NHS needs our support more than ever

13. Gelateria 3BIS

How you define yourself