You friendly neighbourhood spider

Jo here at work, has a massive Orb-web Spider (European garden spider) outside her window making a home, she's dubbed him Oscar. His abomen is the size of my finger nail, a tad frightful, so I'm very glad that there are no harmful spiders in the UK. We also just found a Cellar-Spider living under our sofa, he seems a little shy but I bet we can thank him for the absence of flies in our flat. Spiders are fascinating creatures, even the plain old common garden or house spider has a whole world in mystery. Some can leap and lay traps (Trap-door spider), other use poison and have fangs (Red Back spider), some burrow like mammals (Tarantula) , some build incredible webs, they are so varied and bizzare how can you not be a little curious...

I have to admit, I was terrifyed when we were shown a Sydney Funnel-Web Spider one of the most dangerous Spiders in the world, as the zoo keeper had it in a cup with the lid off. Of course the funnel-web is a rather primative and incapable of climbing a smooth surface or jumping, so there is no way it could of harmed us but I felt better with it a little further away from my person. Now I can understand being freaked out by something poisonus and large but I really don't get people who scream and stamp on poor little harmless spiders. They are a fascinating and completly misunderstood.

Comments

  1. that sydney funnelweb was pretty scary. They also make the coolest nests, great to look at, but don't get too close!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I'm not a big fan of spiders! Spider webs are cool, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the coolest spider I've ever seen. It sounds like spiders have drawn you into their web. OK, I'm sorry. I just couldn't resist ;-)

    I wish we had cool insects under our sofa. We just find old bits of food that our 4 year old twins drop and don't care to pick up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NHS needs our support more than ever

13. Gelateria 3BIS

How you define yourself