I remember, I think...

Sitting on the bus every morning strange thoughts go through my head, memory for one, is a strange thing and can play real tricks on you. Especially childhood memories, which could be complete fantasies with no bearing on reality. Of course you don't actually realise this until you much older.

I recently watched Tuck Everlasting, now I remember reading the book and loving it as a child but watching the movie was a bizarre experience as it turned out that I barely recalled anything that happened. Even stranger was watching The Dark Crystal last night. I used to be terrified of Labyrinth and in awe of Dark Crystal my sister and I would spend whole afternoons watching both back to back. I've seen Labyrinth a few time since then and the only thing that terrifies me is David Bowie's tights (I mean he is pretty scary just look at him!) but watching Dark Crystal was like something completely new. How could I have forgotten the whole thing and made up a totally different movie in my head?

I'm guessing it is like all those other films that you see years later and start getting all the jokes your older sibling laughed at. (The first time I watched Grease as a teenager I couldn't believe how much I'd been oblivious too). I makes me wonder how much of what I recall from my earliest memories is real and how much I substituted with of own imagination.

Comments

  1. I always remember the owl at the beginning looking really real, but now it just looks like it's made from play-doh. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great point about what was fantasy and what was real. I never saw the Bowie movie, but rest assured I'll be seeing that picture of him you posted every time I close my eyes or blink today...got any tips on how to gouge one's eyes out?

    I've watched James Bond movies since I was a little kid. As I got older I started getting all of the jokes and inuendos that I didn't before. It makes the movies that much better now ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Bond, he rocks doesn't he.

    For years I thought Pussy Galore was reffering to a cat. Of course it twigged when I was watching Goldfinger for the 50th time at the age of about 13, the only problem was I was my dad was sitting next to me. I keep wondering, does he get it and pretend that he's not, or is he oblivous...

    I think I'd rather not know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't seen the David Bowie movie you mention, but is that a (human) baby in the background?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep its a Dikini I mean Human baby.

    I'm shocked that people haven't seen Labyrinth, it was massive in the 80's and is sort of cult movie over here. Jus to clear things up the movie is about Sarah (Jennifer Connelly) who is left home alone with her brother Toby. But the baby keeps crying, while telling him a story to make him sleep, she inadvertently conjures a fantasy world and wishes the Goblin King (David Bowie) would steals the child. The King does and brings him to his castle in the middle of a labyrinth. Sarah has to rescue him before midnight, or the baby will became a goblin...

    It's a classic. Plus its Jim Henson so you know its going to be good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NHS needs our support more than ever

13. Gelateria 3BIS

How you define yourself