Big Brother?

E has a subscription to New Scientist, which makes me very happy as I get to read it for free. So was I was reading this article on MySpace and the whole networking revolution thingy and you know what the whole thing scares me. How can it not freak people out that you can log on to their page and find out some of the most intimate details about their lives. It is a stalkers paradise, they don't even need to leave the house.

To be honest people scare me loads, but what gets me more is that whole watched and tracked society (after reading too much sci-fi). The idea that IF you had the right software and access you could find out all someones personal information: shopping habits, where they live, who they are with, where they work, what they look like, who they are related to, where they went to school, their exam results their salary the list goes on. Then you could track their movements with their mobile and CCTV.

It is a whole bunch of if's, at the moment this is a paranoia but the fact is, however unlikely, its possible, we have the technology. All it would take is a few steps in a certain direction...

What does a scanner see? Into the head? Down into the heart? Does it see into me? Into us? Clearly or darkly? - Philip K Dick

Comments

  1. I think its all a bit creepy. I accept that the FBI, CIA, MI6, or any of the others are keeping records about me from my use of the internets. But I don't like the idea of bill from up the street looking at my photos of my trip to Thailand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, now I'm too freaked out to go to bed. Maybe I'll put the computer outside tonight ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh-oh, MySpace! My kids are totally into it. I have to constantly troll their MySpace pages to make sure they are not divulging too much! Interestingly my older son is aghast that I now have a blog. Talk about a double standard!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NHS needs our support more than ever

How you define yourself

13. Gelateria 3BIS